- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Combine the lentils with 1 cup of water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 10-15 minutes until the lentils are slightly firm.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions in the vegetable oil over small heat for 30 minutes until thoroughly caramelized.
- When lentils are ready, add the rice, salt and the third of the onions into the saucepan. Bring to boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, covered, on a very low heat.
- Add the butter to the rice and simmer for 10 more minutes. Before serving top the majadra with the remaining onions and their oil.
Prep Time: 1 min Cook Time: 1 h 30 min Ready in: 1 h 31 min